IBM has business partners all over the world offering IBM classes. I advise you buying the IBM Education Card for your IT staff, and possibly more of work force. This gives you one year of unlimited IBM education, at any of these business partners, for one reasonable price. You can use it at technical conferences. There are some 3rd parties that offer classes that are not exactly IBM certified, but IBM lets them also on the card.

When I go to this education, a major expense can be transportation and the motel/hotel. Your company may have limited budget for education, so you don't want extraneous expenses draining it. If you do need a bunch of people getting the same education, it is cheaper for one instructor to come to you, than for you to send a bunch of employees to the education. Don't put all your key people on one airplane. There are user groups all over the place which organize classes where the instructor is brought in, and the students come from companies that are members of that group, and groups from neighboring cities. These classes cover the gamut of IBM education topics and typically cost fraction of what it would cost to go to one of the IBM business partners classes.

I have been to COMMON conferences in cities where the hotel rates were several hundred $ per nite, but I was staying at Bed & Breakfast, for no more than $ 50.00 per nite, within easy commute of the conference. With hotel/motel you can reserve on short notice, but with B+B you need to plan longer in advance.

Depending on your location, and where the education is located, traveling by Amtrak can often be a heck of a lot less hassle than by air. You don't have passenger luggage restrictions that get in the way of you bringing back handouts from the seminars, I have NEVER had Amtrak lose my luggage, as often happens by air, or put it on a carrousel where I have to pick mine out of the bags of 400 other passengers.

List,

We are new to the iSeries world. We will be migrating from a VSE/ESA system
to i5. We've already migrated our database from DB2/VSE to UDB/iSeries. So
far - so good.

I would like to get some advice concerning the best way to train operators.

1) What is the best application to train operators to use that are new to
the iSeries?
iSeries Navigator?
WDSC?
traditional green-screen via TN5250?
All the above?

2) Are there any recommended classes for operators that are new to the
iSeries?

3) Is it better/more economical to bring someone in for the training?

4) Any other ideas or suggestions we should be aware of as we move forward
with the migration?

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger