Hello Jim,

I had this box some time ago, went through the same thing.
This one is not able to receive print jobs on port 9100, it doesn't understand PJL at all. The only the I got to work was with port 515 or 1501 which is, you have to configure it "the unix-like" way with a remote OUTQ and a Printerqueue name like PASS or so. Results were ugly, so I strongly recommend using either internal HP network card or an external Jetdirect box (one of the newer types, there are some like Jetdirect 170x which are cheap and therefore can't do everything the bigger models can handle). What I really can recommend as an alternative is one of the SEH printboxes (IP101, is the ethernet model, I think). These are very easy to install, have full support for every protocol and the people there know about AS/400-iSeries related things - they simply run well with an iSeries and are very affordable compared to the
HP printerboxes.
BTW - I am just a happy user of SEH-boxes, but I like them, perhaps because they
are made in Germany ...

Regards from Germany,
Philipp

Jim Franz schrieb:
Am trying to configure a HP 4000 printer to iSeries.
Instead of usual Jet Direct box net tech put on other printers, he installed DLINK DP301P Express Ethernet Fast Print Server (hardware piece).
iSeries gets error msg can't communicate on port (which I set as 9100).
I strongly prefer to not go the remote outq config. Has anyone been successful with this box?
Jim Franz