From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don Cavaiani
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 5:19 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Saving the IFS

This was rolling along nicely until I received the
"insufficient memory"
error - caused by the excessive length of the directory
structure for a
given file's location.  Is there a way around this other than
to exclude
that particular directory?

__________
_
Create a share for the IFS root directory.  Then create this
batch file:

NET USE Z: \\iseries\root password /USER:userid ECHO QSYS.LIB >
%TEMP%\OMITLIST XCOPY Z:*.* C:\ISERIESBACKUP /H/I/C/K/E/R/Y/D
/EXCLUDE:%TEMP%\OMITLIST DEL %TEMP%\OMITLIST

Where "iseries" is the domain name or IP address of your iSeries,
"userid" is user profile on the iSeries with sufficient authority to
read the IFS, and "password" is the password for userid.

----------
-------------------

This is pretty much the procedure I am trying now and which appears to
be working fine!

All of the suggestions sounded logical, and I appreciate the input of
each expert who responded.

Thanks!

Create a share for the IFS root directory.  Then create this
batch file:

NET USE Z: \\iseries\root password /USER:userid ECHO QSYS.LIB >
%TEMP%\OMITLIST XCOPY Z:*.* C:\ISERIESBACKUP /H/I/C/K/E/R/Y/D
/EXCLUDE:%TEMP%\OMITLIST DEL %TEMP%\OMITLIST

Where "iseries" is the domain name or IP address of your iSeries,
"userid" is user profile on the iSeries with sufficient authority to
read the IFS, and "password" is the password for userid.

If you want to exclude other directories in addition to QSYS.LIB, add
additional ECHO commands _after_ the first one as follows:
ECHO dirname >> %TEMP%\OMITLIST
The >> is intentional and means append to the file.

I have not tested the above in total, however the NET USE works and I
use XCOPY with the listed parms sans the /EXCLUDE all the time.

That said, this may not capture everything so be sure to watch for
messages.

Also, this does an incremental backup - anything on the source that is
newer or newly exists is copied to the target.  That way you're not
copying the entire IFS dir structure every time; just the
changes.  The
first time you run it the batch will copy everything, after that it
should be much quicker.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.