In our case its IBM blades and IBM SAN and they are using Tivoli for
multiple version and accidental file delete. Currently Tivoli is moving
things to a big IBM tape unit but that unit sits right next to the SAN
and in a disaster if one goes so does the other. I had heard the
performance issue a few years back when SANs started hitting the market
and the iSeries folks warned about it, even suggested that people flip
their thinking around and use the iSeries as a SAN serving disk space up
to the Intel servers

John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx 10/27/2006 8:15 AM >>>
Two points:

Performance: An IBM sizing expert (for JDE World and
OneWorld/EnterpriseOne) told me earlier this week that the storage
geeks
at IBM told her that to get equivalent performance to iSeries internal
DASD from a SAN you'd have to use the DS8000 model from IBM.  That's
basically their high-end unit and it doesn't make performance better;
just comparable.  I don't know what that'd map to WRT the SAN vendor
you've implemented but 'cheap disk' sounds to me a lot like 'degraded
performance'.

Backups: While using SAN replication to a remote facility solves the
BCDR usage for backups, it does nothing to solve the 'oops' need for
backups.  That is, the ability to restore a single file, machine, or
environment to a pre-screw-up state (accidental deletions, virus
infection, etc.).  If you truly want to forego tape backups you need
supplement the SAN replication with a continual data protection
product
that lets you restore your storage to pre-mess up state.  Note that
Microsoft's CDP product is not true CDP; it does not work at the
transaction level.  Also, before implementing such a solution make
sure
your auditors don't take issue with the methodology.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.
V: +1-630-455-2787 F: +1-312-601-1782