On 10/24/06, lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have a corporate project to migrate our mailboxes from Exchange 2000 to
Exchange 2003. Part of the migration process is a discussion over allowing
anonymous relaying from the internal network. Our iSeries is configured to
use the Exchange server as its relay point. If corporate decides to use a
form of SMTP relay authentication, does OS400 support this natively (SMTP
with MSF)? How about running our own relay/SMTP server? We're at V5R2, and
most of our email is handled with Brad Stone's MAILTOOL.

Rich's idea (I think) is to have the SMTP server send mail directly rather
than relaying through Exchange.  If the message is to an internal person,
the Exchange server should accept it because it is not a relay.  If the
message is to another domain, the SMTP server will contact that domain and
deliver the message directly.  The SMTP out from the System i will need to
be allowed out the firewall.

The most straight-forward solution is to harangue the Exchange admins to
allow relay from the System i.  You can certainly certify that the System i
will not allow relaying.

One thought .. frame the issue as their problem.  Ideally, the System i
would authenticate SMTP, but it doesn't.  The System i (and several other
systems) are going to be sending emails; the functionality is required by
the business.  Their choice is to have the mail routed directly out the
firewall, or out through the Exchange framework.  I wager they will want the
latter, as long as you can certify that it is secure.

Good luck!