Please check your tape device configuration, make sure "Unload device at
vary off  . . .   *NO"...

Best Regards.

James Fu

TDL Group Corp. (Tim Hortons)
Oakville, Ontario
Direct: 905-339-5798
fu_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.timhortons.com

             "Burns, Bryan"
             <Bryan_Burns@Echo
             -usa.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Tape drive is doing one extra
             10/18/2006 11:34          unload
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

My 3581 L28 LTO2 tape unit is doing an extra unload and I can't figure out
why.  It has not always done this.  Here's the sequence of events:

1.  Tape device is in vary on status.
2.  SAVLIB ENDOPT(*LEAVE) is performed on tape in slot 1.
3.  Device is varied off by a command running from the job scheduler.
4.  The HMC moves the tape IOA and IOP to LPAR2.

5.  Tape device LPAR2 is varied on.
6.  SAVLIB ENDOPT (*UNLOAD) is performed on tape in slot 1 and all the
libraries fit on tape1.
7.  Tape device on LPAR2 is varied off.
8.  The HMC moves the tape IOA and IOP to LPAR1.
9   The tape device on LPAR 1 is varied on.

All these events take place between midnight and 0630.  When I arrive in
the morning, the tape is sitting in slot 3, not slot 2.  Step 6` should
unload tape from slot 1 and load tape from slot 2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bryan Burns
M.I.S. Department