Thanks, I'm working on it and got the qshell manual by ted holt.

-----Original Message-----
From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: DSPAUT

If the output file is an IFS file, it will get created automatically.
And if there is a PF created using RCDLEN and with MAXMBRS(*NOMAX), a
member can be named and will be created - you have to use path naming.

So you could do

ls > /qsys.lib/yourlib.lib/yourfile.file/newmbr.mbr

and the names of objects in your current directory will be listed in
member NEWMBR of YOURLIB/YOURFILE - and the member will be created if you used

CRTPF YOURLIB/YOURFILE MAXMBRS(*NOMAX) RCDLEN(256) MBR(*NONE)

The reason you have to create the PF is that a PF is considered a
container or directory for the members, which are considered
equivalent to the files in a directory when processed with path
naming as in QShell. In QShell, if the directory did not exist, the
command would not direct output to a file in a non-existent directory.

ls with the -R option will recurse down the subdirectories. Adding
the -l ("small ell") option will give you the object owner and the
Unix-style authority - the RWX stuff - for owner, group, and public.
Not exactly the same as DSPAUT, which also has iSeries-type stuff in it.

There are some problems with this in large lists, IIRC, but it might
give you some ideas. And do go get the QShell manual - it is under
Shells under Programming somewhere in InfoCenter, I believe.

HTH
Vern