From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Nick_Radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 11:22 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Nightly saves

Bryan,

We are on MAPICS XAR6 with V4R5 of the OS, and we do your options 1,2,3
and 6.  We use ROBOT to schedule our backups.

We have a custom CL for our backups.

Ends subsystem QINTER and RFINTER, for our scanners, and starts subsystem
Backup.  Do a SAVLIB (Monday nights) and SAVCHGOBJ (other days of the
week) to SAVFs.  After each save to SAVF, I submit a job to do the actual
save to tape for each library and then clear the SAVF after it writes to
tape, so the saving process is faster and my Users can get on quicker.
This is for selected  *USER libraries on our system.  We do a full system
save Monthly for all libraries on the system.

Our Monday backup takes about 2 hours, and the daily is about 65 minutes.
I am in the process of trying to see if it will be faster to FTP the SAVFs
to our network, than it is to use the 400's tape drive.

HTH,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct  (320) 679-6683
Toll free  (800) 388-2155  ext. 6683
Fax  (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Burns, Bryan" <Bryan_Burns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/16/06 10:58 AM
Please respond to

<MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Nightly saves

I need to revisit our backup approach and I'd like to conduct a poll.  Do
you do any of the following for your nightly backup?

1. End QINTER SBS?
2. End just active jobs in QINTER?
3. Save to disk?
4. Perform a GO SAVE 21?
5. Perform another GO SAVE option?
6. Perform your own SAVLIB CL?

We do 2 and 6.  (Actually, we count on our ERP system [MAPICS] to do 2,
but it doesn't always do what we need it to).

Thanks,

Bryan Burns
M.I.S. Department
ECHO, Incorporated