On 10/11/06, nike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Klement" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: Bypass Signon for RF Scanners
> A fourth alternative (that I thought of since posting my last message) is
> to use the TELNET "device initialization exit program" capability.  The
> TN5250e protocol is capable of transmitting the userid, password,
> program/procedure, menu and current library fields as telnet USERVARs.
> When that happens, the telnet device initialation program receives these
> fields and puts themm into a data structure.  I got to thinking, what
> would happen if my EXIT PROGRAM filled in these variables instead of
> TELNET?  Would it then sign on as that userid/password?  Worth a try.
>
> In fact, I think I'll experiment a bit...

I have been looking at using the Exit Program approach as well, but have
hit a bit of a roadblock.  In looking at the headers for the Telnet Exit
Program (QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC) I can see the user id, initial program, etc.
but no defined way to set the password...

Ideally I would want this exit program to:
1) Check device name or IP and automatically signon if there is a match to
my RF scanners.
2) If there is no match then just allow the user to go through the normal
signon processing.

Have I just missed something?  I also checked out the Telnet Exit Program
samples from IBMs site and they are of no help.  Actually, they did help
me reaffirm my stand the C is not the language for me.  My head hurt after
digging through that mess for a few minutes.

the standard way of doing this is to have a user profile with a
password that never expires. To signon you scan a barcode that encodes
that user name and password. In the initial signon program you can
check the IP address of the device to make sure it is one of the
allowed devices. Or just check the first xx characters of the job
name.

-Steve