Buck,

I develop open source solutions with Asterix and I am still pursuing the 3Com solution on the System i. They each have their place, driven by business requirements. Folks haven't stopped buying other OS's just because Linux is available and free.

As for dumping phones. VoIP is gaining traction and the reality is that within 5-10 years traditional PBX's will be few and far between. There are just too many reasons to use VoIP vs a tradition PBX when considering a replacement. The System i is a great stable platform for this type of application and yes, when looking at the low-end (< 100 handsets) there isn't a compelling reason to jump to a System i VoIP solution. But if you have > 100 handsets and the hardware, there is a "sweet spot" where IBM and 3Com marketing folks have determined a System i solution will fit and that is the market segment to pursue.

Haven't even mentioned application integration, which has it's own benefits on System i. It all looks good to me. The proof, of course, will be hearing of successes over the next year or so.

Pete

Buck wrote:
Be prepared to defend the cost/benefit of iSeries hardware
That is just as true for everything else we do .. there are open source
options for ...

Yes indeed. My only point is that if one wants to use their iSeries for VoIP, one should be aware of the arguments against that position before one suggests it. Forewarned is forearmed.

One final thought. To re-emphasize what Al said, in order to use VoiP you will throw away the phone on your desk and replace it with a SIP phone, or with an application on your PC like Gizmo or X-Lite. This is roughly equivalent to suggesting replacing your 3196s with PCs, and can be a difficult sell. That is, one may end up trying to pitch VoiP _and_ iSeries rather than just iSeries. I just don't see that working out.

   --buck