----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Klement" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: Bypass Signon for RF Scanners
A fourth alternative (that I thought of since posting my last message) is
to use the TELNET "device initialization exit program" capability.  The
TN5250e protocol is capable of transmitting the userid, password,
program/procedure, menu and current library fields as telnet USERVARs.
When that happens, the telnet device initialation program receives these
fields and puts themm into a data structure.  I got to thinking, what
would happen if my EXIT PROGRAM filled in these variables instead of
TELNET?  Would it then sign on as that userid/password?  Worth a try.

In fact, I think I'll experiment a bit...

I have been looking at using the Exit Program approach as well, but have
hit a bit of a roadblock.  In looking at the headers for the Telnet Exit
Program (QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC) I can see the user id, initial program, etc.
but no defined way to set the password...

Ideally I would want this exit program to:
1) Check device name or IP and automatically signon if there is a match to
my RF scanners.
2) If there is no match then just allow the user to go through the normal
signon processing.

Have I just missed something?  I also checked out the Telnet Exit Program
samples from IBMs site and they are of no help.  Actually, they did help
me reaffirm my stand the C is not the language for me.  My head hurt after
digging through that mess for a few minutes.

If you make any progress I would love to hear about it,
JD

PS -- Looking forward to the API session next week:)