He can look at the access path recommendations but can't actually build
indexes over some of the files native security restricts him from, right?

If that's the case, I'd stick with whatever your business rules are.  If
he's not supposed to access PAYROLL, don't give him access to it just to
build indexes.  He can submit a request to system DBA or system Admin to
build them at night or something (index builds on large files takes a while
and may take significant resources).

Non-sensitive files... he can't do much harm by building indexes (other than
resource consumption for index builds).

Elvis