To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: install memory on i5 520

This is a nice and easy install, but you have to be careful.

Unplug machine and attach anti static strap.

Take the covers off

Remove the powersupply (Orange Handles)

Remove the Service Processor (Blue Handles) - make sure all connections to
it have been removed

Remove the Fan Assembly (Little catch at the top and the bottom, both blue)

Add the memory in the correct slots - You will see 2 banks of 4 slot memory

Then put the fan assembley back in, this can be a little tricky as if it
doesn't sit right then the connections do not see the fans and you get an
SRC when you turn on the box. Also, be gentle, as on some 520s, there are 4 capaciters that are sat on the system board right next to the slot where the
fan plugs in at the top. Make sure you dont bend and break them by forcing
in the assembly.

Put the Service Processor back in

Then the power supply

Wait 1/2 hour for the front panel to do its thing before eventually going to
01 B

Power on.

Dont put the lid on straight away, check to see the fans start, all the
problems I have ever had have been with the fan unit not being in place
properly.

There you go, nice and easy, shouldnt take any lonnger than 20 mins, so
charge the customer for a whole day :)

Kind Regards

Martin Spencer.
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:26:31 -0400
from: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: install memory on i5 520

Customer has i5 520 floor model.
According to hardware info center specs, this is really involved to add
memory,
having to remove much of the guts of the system to get to the board.
I can't find whether memory is considered "customer install".
Cust bought used memory - expecting me to install.
Does anyone other than CE's do this kind of stuff?
I did add new disk drives and was fairly simple.
jim

message: 6
date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:51:35 -0400
from: Pete Massiello <pmassiello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: install memory on i5 520

This would be customer install even if you brought it from IBM, and
since you bought it used, its definitely customer install.  Installing
the memory is VERY easy.

Pete