From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: First time buying System i5

   You will be very unhappy with a 3 disk Raid-5 set.  Spend
the extra money
   and go with 4 disk drives.

   Pete

   Wilt, Charles wrote:

 Aaron,

 Couple of things.  For 3 LPARs you only really need 3 disk
drives as far
 as IBM is concerned, as you don't have to use mirroring or RAID.

 You might then be able to pick up some additional used drives.

 Another option, at my last employer, we purchased a 270 without any
 drives and then filled it with FAST technology drives from BCC, (now
 called eStorage: http://www.estorageinc.com/index.htm )

 HTH,

 Charles Wilt
 Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America