From my ABC's of System Management presentation:

 Changing the Sign-on Display:

 To create your own custom sign-on screen, use a copy of the source
 provided for the IBM-supplied sign-on displays.

 Two sign-on screens are shipped.  QDSIGNON is shipped for the system value
 QPWDLVL of ‘0’ or ‘1’, where the password is upper case with a length of
 10.  QDSIGNON2 is shipped for the system value QPWDLVL ‘2’ or ‘3’, where
 the password is case sensitive with a length of 128.

 QDSIGNON is always shipped in the source file QDDSSRC in QGPL.  If the
 system was newly installed at V5R1, QDSIGNON2 is also shipped in QDDSSRC
 in QGPL, however this does not apply if this system was upgraded from a
 previous release.  Regardless, as of V5R1, a new source file QAWTSSRC in
 QSYS is shipped with both source file members.  (Whatever happened to
 “Success isn’t Complicated”?)

 Although the following critical points are listed for QDSIGNON, they also
 apply to QDSIGNON2:

             DO NOT modify the original source member, copy this member and
            modify the copy only.

             DO NOT change the order or size of the IBM-supplied data
            fields within the DDS specifications for the display file, but
            you may change the location on the display and display
            attributes of these fields.

             DO NOT delete QSYS/QDSIGNON, DO NOT replace QSYS/QDSIGNON.
            Create your custom sign-on screen in library QGPL, specifying
            MAXDEV(256) on the CRTDSPF command.  For clarity, most users
            will also call it QDSIGNON.

             Test your custom sign-on screen before changing a subsystem
            description to use it.

             DO NOT change the controlling subsystem descriptions
            (typically: QCTL, QBASE or QSYSSBSD).  To change an interactive
            subsystem (QINTER for example) to use the new display file, use
            command

            CHGSBSD    SBSD(QINTER) SGNDSPF(QGPL/newsignon)

             End and restart the subsystem for the new sign-on display to
            take effect with the commands:

            ENDSBS     SBS(QINTER)

            STRSBS     SBSD(QINTER)

 The lines for “Program/procedure”, “Menu” and “Current Library” were added
 mostly for System/36 compatibility, and some users consider these as a
 security exposure.

 Some jurisdictions have ruled that without sign-on security warning,
 system hacking is less enforceable, however the courts (for example) in
 New York State have determined that this represents trespassing.  The
 decision to display your company name on the modified screen should be set
 by your security policy.

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Wayne McAlpine
             <wayne.mcalpine@s
             os.louisiana.gov>                                          To
             Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s+barsa=barsacons
             ulting.com@midran                                     Subject
             ge.com                    Re: Restoring User Logon Screens

             09/21/2006 04:31
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Either that or you compiled it using the compiler defaults.  I seem to
recall that the defaults for QDSIGNON are different from the defaults on
the CRTDSPF command.  Another possibility is that you didn't compile it
in the same library.  You can display the subsystem description for
QINTER to find out which library it expects the file to be in.

Sean Porterfield wrote:
Brian Piotrowski wrote:

On our i5, we have a welcome screen that greets the user whenever the
start an interactive session.  It was a bit outdated, so I made some
adjustments and updated the DDS.

problem now is that the standard logon screen appears (the one with
user, password, program/procedure, menu, current library).

Most likely you have broken the file format - moved fields (positions in
file, not on the screen), changed field sizes - and the OS automatically
reverted to the standard file instead of not working at all.  There are
numerous discussions in the archives related to changing the signon
screen.