Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice on protecting home-grown programs and user
security?  Right now we have a very rudimentary security system that
protects programs based on the users "level".  This level has nothing to
do with the built-in security used by the AS/400.  Instead, there's an
additional PF that houses the username, a security category (ie: "A" for
all programs, "S" for only scanning programs, etc.). and a security
level (3 - can do everything, 0 - can do very little).

We're looking at revamping our entire security system to make it more
granular.  Instead of having a broad security level such as "A3", I'm
looking to go right down to the menu items and restrict on that.  So if
we have "001 - Production Control, 002 - Trailer Control, 003 - User
Profiles", I would have the user maintenance program allow access to
001, and 003 for a user, but restrict them from using 002.

However, we have almost 275 programs spread across 15 menus, so a user's
profile may be large because in addition to their name and password,
they will have an extra 275 fields that will have a "Y" or "N" in them
to restrict their access to the programs.  Furthermore, when new menu
items are added, I will need to go into the user profile program and
update all records.  So I'm not sure if this is a viable solution.

I thought I'd consult the group for some advice, since I'm sure there
are others who have done this before.  If not, are there any good
Redbooks that cover this issue or has everyone rolled out their own
security solutions?

Thanks!

/b;

Brian Piotrowski