I have a Linux lpar hosted by an i5/os lpar.  Suse Linux.  V5R4 of i5/os
host.  i5-570.  The Linux lpar is using a 3582-L23 tape drive connected to
a 5704 fiber card via a IBM SAN switch.  In the /dev directory there are a
few devices:
IBMchanger0 for the 3582 library
IBMtape1 for one drive
IBMtape2 for the other drive

 I ran the following:
IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMtape1 inquiry 80
and
IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMtape2 inquiry 80
These commands will display the serial number of each drive.  You can
check that out using the buttons on the 3582 to compare.  The problem is
that I then rebooted this Linux lpar.  I ran the IBMtapeutil commands
again and the serial numbers flipflopped between the two.
I am using IBM's TSM software and when you configure the tape drives it
records the serial number.  The problem is now I have to reconfigure the
tape drives into TSM after every reboot.  (As if our downtime instructions
weren't complicated enough, right Dave?)  I am thinking the possible
solutions are either to get Linux to stop flipflopping the serial numbers
or to tell TSM not to give a rip about the serial numbers.  Trouble is, I
can't figure out either way.  I have a pmr open with IBM on this, but it's
not getting anywhere fast.