I had made a call to IBM a week or so ago because I couldn't get the
darn thing to work.  Turns out that some of my old dialup
configurations were preventing it from using the Internet connection
(those steps were not in the knowledgebase article).  The technician
from that call told me that it would try HTTP first but then roll to
VPN is that wasn't sucessful connecting.  Like I mentioned earlier, we
flag a lot of data to be sent and I was suprised when IBM said they
hadn't got anything.  That's why I called again today.  The technican
check somethings, had me delete two validation lists, check a job in
WRKJOBSCDE.  After it collected all the inventory stuff nothing
happened.  It was then she had me do WRKJOB JOB(QTOVMAN) and look at
the ACTIVE jobs joblog.  There were messages TCP8606 reason code 8408
and TCP8601 reason code 3.

That's when she sent me the link about having HTTP *INBOUND* open.
That seems crazy.
Figures, the 'FireWall' guy is out today so I can't see if there were
any denies from some address and if the thing was even trying to do
HTTP.

mike.

from: "Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: PM/400 via Internet

I think somebody's confused somewhere.

We send PM data out to IBM via the internet with no ports open on our
firewall inbound into our iSeries.

I got it to work by following the infocenter/iNav/PM web site
instructions.  Took me a couple of tries, but the data
transmission has
been working for months now.

HTH,

Charles Wilt