Is there information in the Wiki (http://wiki.midrange.com) on how to do
that?

On 9/15/06, pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx <pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One should also put WAS into its own memory pool
--

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.

"Lukas Beeler" <l.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
09/15/2006 09:43 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: First time buying System i5

Hi,

With WAS, i would point the minimum to 8GB ;)

Java consumes a great deal of resources on your box. If you don't have
enough RAM, everything will slow down to a crawl. Developer time is
expensive, and waiting 5-10s for each new website to build up will:

a) Drive your Developers crazy
b) Use a lot of valuable developer time

We have several 520 running for 5-10 users with 1GB of RAM, and they
usually have the admin-Server (needed to setup SSL for CA and such)
running. Clicking on a link takes 10-30 seconds till you get a page,
while the whole machine grinds to a halt.

The System i running java needs RAM as much as windows or linux boxes
running java do. Of course, the RAM for the latter machines is much
cheaper. That's the reason why I've seen many undersized i5.

You could start out with 2GB, and see if that suffices to you, but
reserve some budget for expanding the RAM in the box. Be sure to use
large sticks initially (i.E. don't use 4x512 to get your 2GB, use
2x1024).