Thanks, this has proved very helpful. I think I have a solution to my
problem now.

Pete
<qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Pete:

 Am I missing something?

About all you're missing is the same thing we all miss when working with
these APIs. IBM obviously never expected anyone ever to _use_ these
because their documentation is horrible.

However, it ought to work fairly easily in your scenario. The trick is
that the vendor needs to do the work. If you're running DLTLICPGM and
RMVLICKEY, you've fulfilled your part of the bargain.

If the vendor wants this situation taken care of, it's trivial to do.

I'm not at all certain _how_ it works, but this should give you enough
to go on. There are a couple relevant APIs. First is Retrieve License
Information (QLZARTV) API. This apparently accesses elements about
licensing that might be available forever, regardless of whether or not
RMVLICKEY has ever been run. The API can be used during normal code
paths for day to day stuff.

But the second API is Retrieve License Key Information (QLZARTVK). By
all appearances, this one accesses some "external" license info that
seems to be much more volatile. After you run RMVLICKEY, this API will
return CPF9E58: 'License key information not found' for the requested
product.

A vendor could run that during a pre-restore exit of RSTLICPGM and abort
the installation or set some followup flag in a product object. Or the
API could be run at intervals during normal product operation.

In short, the condition is testable by the vendor.

Tom Liotta

Pete Clifford wrote:
   4. RMVLICKEY (Pete Clifford)

IBM states (in the help text and Info Center for the RMVLICKEY command):

"Removing license information from the repository does not affect
installed
licenses. Any license that is currently being used to access the
product on
this system remains valid and usable."

As far as I can make out, if you uninstall a licensed program (with
DLTLICPGM) and remove the license key for that product from the
repository
(with RMVLICKEY), this does NOT actually get rid of the license from the
repository. It might not show up on WRKLICINF, but its still there,
and if
you subsequently reinstall the product (with RSTLICPGM), that product
will
work just fine and will continue to consider itself licensed.

So, my question is: is there any way of deleting a license from a
system so
that the product is no longer usable? If not, how does this affect the
licensing of software when a system is put on to the second-user market?
Doesn't this mean that there is really no way of transferring a
license from
system A to system B, because there's actually no way of effectively
deleting the license from system A?

Am I missing something?

--

Tom Liotta