Van: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens Michael Ryan
Verzonden: vrijdag 8 september 2006 15:23
Aan: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Onderwerp: Re: AIX - i5/OS feature comparison was the notorious Steve's
soapbox

Exactly my point. The price the market will bear for the other operating
systems is whatever they cost...a few hundred dollars. The price of i5/OS is
much higher. That's the price the market bears for that operating system. I
don't think IBM just pulls numbers out of the air when they price i5/OS and
AIX and z/OS. It doesn't really matter what you think the price should be -
the market will determine that. Now, you're part of that market, and you've
shown your price point by buying a p5 with AIX from eBay. IBM probably won't
change their i5/OS price based on that, but it's one more decision that gets
added to the mix. Buy a bunch of more p5's...maybe IBM will see the decline
in i5/OS licenses and drop the price.