I agree totally, but it's all about tuning the SQL.  Actually I like and
use Crystal.  In fact we have a product called "Crystal Integrator" for
scheduling Crystal Reports.

I was just using this as an example when trying to get Dave to provide
more detail on what he was trying to do.

Thanks for the tweak :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 8
date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:26:04 -0700
from: "Bill" <brobins3d@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Performance of ODBC vs. other access methods

richard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
If you were asking about using iSeries ODBC from Crystal Reports to
access DB2 I would tell you not to do it because it's butt-slow.

Wow do I disagree with this!  As with most any subject CR -can- be slow,
but sometimes all it takes is an intelligent review of the generated SQL
versus a review of the indexes and data involved and miraculous results
can
be achieved.  I have personally made changes to reports that were 15
minute
run times that are now less than 15 seconds.

Bill