There is now a Group PTF for ECS PTFs, for V5R3 its SF99298. Sorry I don't
remember the other releases. ECS at V5R3 (with PTFs) and V5R4 will use a
number methods to try and connect including VPN and HTTP'S among others.
See if the PTFs help and let us know what happens.

_____________________
Kirk Goins
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified i5 Solution Sales
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.manageinc.com

Email Response Times:
Same Day Maybe, Next Day Probably

Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/07/2006 04:43 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
ECS via IP...  Performance?

In the past, we had ECS set up to work with a bisync modem.  Back in the
day, it used a 300 baud modem to communicate with IBM.  It was slow, but
it was useful for ordering the occasional coverletter, and also for
service requests since it could send IBM much better technical info than I

can. However, in recent years, I had that disconnected since it was only
used rarely, and it didn't make sense to pay for a phone line and modem.
I've just ordered PTFs via the Web, and used a telephone for the
occasional service request.

Today I decided to set it up again, this time using a direct internet
connection.  So I did, following the instructions in the Information
Center I set it up.  It appears to make a VPN connection to IBM and uses
that to order PTFs or submit service requests.  Nice idea.

However, the performance is dreadful. Even though we have a high-speed
Internet connection, it's frightfully slow.

I'm just testing it out by ordering a single cover letter.  This shouldn't

be slow, should it?  It sat on "Connecting" for about 20 minutes.  After
that, it went to "Sending PTF order" and has been there for about 45
minutes so far.

Obviously, I have something set up wrong.  But what?

I'm using the IBM Universal Connection Wizard to set things up, and the
connection type is "Direct Internet Connection" (because it doesn't have
to dial or anything like that to access the Internet).  Does anyone have
an idea what I could be doing wrong?

It's not a big deal.  Not urgent.  I can always place my orders and
service requests manually.