I don't seem to have any more old 3570 tapes around to physically check,
but a picture that I have of one shows there's an openable door.  You have
three choices:
o     INZTAP CLEAR(*YES)      This will do the perfect job.

o     INZTAP            This will erase the tape headers.  I have taken
tape media where this has occurred accidentally, and overwritten the new
tape header, and then gone in and gotten the data.  That was before the
days of compression, compaction and the new longer format save/restore
file, but this is the equivalent of shredding the New  York Public Library,
and trying to piece it back together.  Possible, but...

o     Open that little door, and use a pair of scissors to cut the tape.
(That's what I did with all of mine.)

There are demagnetizers for tape, but they were designed or reel-to-reel
plastic tape, and I don't think that they would work very well on any media
with a metallic heat sink on one side.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Sandra Lynn
             <sandylaughs@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Old 3570 Tapes
             09/07/2006 12:13
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Hi!

  Just curious what people do with old (no longer needed) media tapes.  I
have a ton of 3570 tapes I need to 'get rid of'....does anyone know of
proper procedures when it comes to the disposal of old data tapes from a
Corporation POV?

  Happy Thursday-
  Sandy