Now this is very interesting.  If I understand the documentation correctly, the
user doesn't necessarily have to have a valid i.d. and password on the Windows
server.  I just have to pass "F_OK" as the second parameter (as in your
example).

Do I understand correctly?  If so, that just leaves the setup of QNTC.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
RoomStore, Inc.
(804) 784-7600 ext. 2124
dfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
The iSeries can access Windows file shares via the /QNTC filesystem.  For
example, we have a server named RED (that's just the name we used) and on
that server we have a share named ISDOCS where we store our documentation
for the Information Systems department.  If I wanted to access a file
named "TimeMgt2.xls" in a folder called "scottk" I could refer to it from
the iSeries using the following IFS path:

     /QNTC/SERVER4/isdocs/scottk/TimeMgt2.xls

When I use that path, it actually logs on to the Windows server named
SERVER4 (using the userid/password of the iSeries user who tried to access
it) and refers directly to that file.

If I wanted to check if that file existed, I could write an RPG program
(or any other ILE HLL) to call the access() API.  That API checks whether
a file exists (and optionally, whether you have access to it)  for
example:

  /free
         filename = '/QNTC/SERVER4/isdocs/scottk/TimeMgt2.xls';

         if (access(%trimr(filename): F_OK) = 0);
            // hurray! file exists
         endif;
<clip>