From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:50 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: **SPAM** Re: Performance of ODBC vs. other access methods

On 9/7/06, Douglas Handy <dhandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard / Steve,

If you really think the p5 is a better value for your business, go
ahead
and see what it's like to move from an iSeries to a p5.

Steve, it seems to me that Richard makes a real good point here.
You're
constantly harping about how the i5 should cost about the same as the
p5.
Well, if you think the p5 is such a good value, why aren't you using
it
instead of the i5?  Is it because the i5 will do things for you the p5
won't?  How much is that worth to you?  If it isn't worth the price
difference, then why are you still using the i5 instead?  And if it is
worth
the price difference, then why the constant complaining about the
price?

Doug, as is,  this system of ours is not going to exist by this time
next year. I received an RS6000 170 44P via ebay yesterday. Connected
the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Turned it on and the front panel
showed a lot of familiar IPL status codes - very reassuring. The IPL
actually halted with an 8 char SRC code on the front panel. Asked a
question on line (1), was directed to the hardware manuals, found them
to be very well written and to the point, the troubleshooting steps
said to reseat the CPU card, and the end result was the system comes
up with an AIX GUI that looks well done. Hardware wise, the RS6000 is
rock solid.

You ask why complain about the price. Fair question about just moving
on, but I would like to retain my skills. What I cant figure out is
why are so many of you willing to defend a vendor that over charges
you and is effectively destroying your career?

(1)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.aix/browse_frm/thread/2725bff97
32f28f7/d6ec8b7f87f5bd57?hl=en#d6ec8b7f87f5bd57