That got me thinking that gee, if they dont gear
the system down then we would not have to be so focused on tuning our
database and could be taught instead how to write SQL procedures.

I guess no matter what speed my system is, what platform I am running or
how smart the database engine is I always think about tuning the DB for
performance.
This is just "database indexing 101" thought process regardless of the
database.

Flashback......I can remember back when I first started using OPNQRYF how
I could bring a good system to its knees just by not having the right

I understand your soapbox discussion on the i5 vs. p5 cost/perf disparity.
 Over time the market will take care of the value disparity if there
really is one.

If you really think the p5 is a better value for your business, go ahead
and see what it's like to move from an iSeries to a p5.  Won't catch me on
that boat :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
message: 6
date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:39:38 -0400
from: "Steve Richter" <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Performance of ODBC vs. other access methods