Vern

From: "Steve Richter" <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx>

On 9/6/06, richard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here's a thought. In fact we've run into this with people building custom
indexes over our WebDocs Document Management tables:

Build logical files or SQL views where needed to support inquiries. Just
make sure not to specify UNIQUE for any of the keys.

As long as you don't specifiy UNIQUE on the keys, you can get the
performance needed without causing problems.

I don't think too many vendor packages rebuild tables on a regular basis
any more. Hopefully :-)

Then create a CL program that gets run each time you apply a vendor update
that deletes your custom views and indexes and rebuilds them after the
vendor update.

Think of this as similar to the customization you would do after an OS/400
upgrade. I always advocate storing customizations in a CL program that
gets run after the OS/400 upgrade.

Short of that you just have to be very careful with testing when you write
queries against your DB. Use existing keys in your queries and you should
be able to get sub-second response times.

Sounds like the i5 needs just as much administering to keep it running
as other systems. Selling the i5 at p5 prices would give us quad core
systems in place of the single and even fractional cores available in
the typical i5. With that kind of speed there would be no concern
about just in time index builds.

-Steve