Thanks. But that would mean I need to buy a license for Windows 2000/2003. If Bill were giving it away for free, I might do that, but paying for an OS so I can run a free operating system isn't what I was interested in.

Interesting that VMWare is free, as long as you buy a server operating system. Those guys at Microsoft really know how to sell OS's.....

Pete

richard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello Pete, For what it's worth, you can load VMware Server (now FREE) on a Windows 2000/2003 IPCS partition and then load a Linux partition on that. The Linux server then looks just like any other Linux Server. In fact the VMWare site has downloadable pre-built Linux images so you don't even need to do a full Linux setup. Imagine Linux running in Windows running on an iSeries. VMware is cool stuff and great for testing Windows and Linux OS stuff.
Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc. "Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 7
date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:08:44 -0600
from: Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Linux on an IPCS

Anyone running Linux on an older model IPCS? Or, better yet, know of instructions on how to accomplish that? I see plenty of references to newer IXS hardware, and sometimes, the IXS in name is used interchangeably for IPCS but in this case I have a 270 running V5R3M0 with a model 2890-003 IPCS that I'd like to install Linux on but can't find any instructions on how to do that.

Thanks,

Pete Helgren