Thanks Nathan,

We've also got Costaglioli's SQL2CSV for creating csv files.  We
actually needed the XLS specifically, because it also lets us use a
template excel file to put headers and define column widths and what-not
on our output.

The good news is I found the problem.  It was the authority to the
/excel directory which contained the /poi-2.0.jar file.

Greg