We use Beppe Costagliola's SQL2XLS program, which in turn uses the
Jakarta POI API's to create Excel files in the IFS.

Typically, we have submitted jobs which call the SQL2XLSR program,
passing the SQL string and other parms, with good results, but until now
the jobs have always been sumbitted from a user profile which has fairly
high authority.

We implemented an application yesterday which allows our users to choose
an option on a screen which submits a job to handle this function, and
it returns the following error:

RPG procedure SQL2XLSR in program GNMPPGM/SQL2XLSR

received Java exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

org/apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/HSSFWorkbook" when calling method "<init>"

with signature "()V" in class
"org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook".

I have seen this error before, when we were using the SQL2XLS program
interactively, because there was an indentically named method used by
our order entry application which of course had a different signature,
and this caused a conflict.  Since this is happening now in a submitted
job, I don't think this conflict could be the problem.

Upon googling the error, I found some discussion on the MCPress site
where Beppe tells some people that it was caused by having the wrong
version of the POI, but this seems to be applicable to situations where
the thing won't work at all on the system.

My inclination is to believe this is an authority issue, but the
question is, authority to what ?  I've checked and opened wide the
authorities to the IFS directories and files being used by the
application, and even opened up the authorities on the poi-2.5.jar file,
to no avail.

Anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks

Greg Fleming