It's rare that I might disagree with Paul, but here goes - the following article speaks to a number of performance issues with ODBC. I believe the usual problem is not having the right indexes to support what you want to do. Of course, ASC does have a good product that uses a non-ODBC protocol, IIRC.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/queryblues.htm

Take a look at the suggestions there before deciding.

Then there are articles at InfoCenter

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzaik/rzaikperftuneodbc.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzaik/rzaikodbcperfconsd.htm

Also in the knowledge base

A COMMON presentation with some of the same info as other items here:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1654bdb12726d8bff862566dd0053ac86&rs=110
Query performance different between interactive SQL and ODBC
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas12c8fb5bb60a43fcb8625691500692bde&rs=110

Much of this comes originally from the venerable user guide for Windows 95/NT ODBC - still about the best discussion of what can make things go bad and good with ODBC.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QBKADE01/CCONTENTS