Heck, I just upgraded to 5.2.1 this week.  And Murphy's law struck with a
vengeance.  Lost a day or two just getting support back on BOTH hmc's that
went casters up.  While waiting, I did get IBM media for both 5.2.1 and
6.1.  Talked to 3 different HMC people in support and was strongly
encouraged to stick with 5.2.1.  Something about certain models of HMC and
certain drives.  6.1 was just released Monday.  If anyone could upgrade to
6.1 it would be me.  Dual HMC's to two different frames:  520 and 570.
Both hooked through open network and not direct.  Either HMC can support
both frames.  Perfect "fall back" situation eh?  Yet I got no
encouragement for even a "oh, what the hey" attempt at upgrading a single
one to 6.1.  As I just finished getting the fix packs on this afternoon, I
am looking forward to a little peace the rest of the afternoon before I
have to spend my freaking Sunday in here upgrading my 570 from a single
fsp to a dual fsp.  Hey, the HMC code I was running the last time we tried
the upgrade I later found didn't support the dual fsp and that level of
firmware that came with the new fsp's.  I wonder if that had anything to
do with the CE slinging screwdrivers across the room after he spent +24
hours here?

Go ahead, order the media.  That way you'll have it after they come out
with the next fix or two and you won't have to burn your own media and get
IBM suspicious that you did something wrong burning your own CD's.

Sidenote:  If you go into fix central it lists one level of firmware as
the latest and greatest (?SF240_219?).  However if you tell the HMC to
compare between you and IBM's support site it mentions a SF240_285.  Now,
a search for SF240_219 gets a few hits but SF240_285 gets none.  Must be
REALLY new.