I too have been responsible for OS/400 (i5/OS) security in banking (FFIEC -
FDIC, OTS, OCC regs) as well as in SOX-regulated industries.  The seven year
retention policy is typically for FFIEC-regulated entities only, but if you can
get away with retaining some tapes off site for that long, it's better to have
it should you ever need it, than to need it and not have it!

  I always recommend a max 60-day online retention of QAUDJRN receivers and the
max (7 year) retention offline.  If possible, have the security journal
receiver save be an entirely separate operation in addition to what would get
backed up on a system save.  That way it's easier to get to the data if you
ever need to do some forensic reporting.  Remember too that the amount of data
that is written to your receivers is also a function of your QAUDCTL and
QAUDLVL settings.  If you don't already have *NOQTEMP in QAUDCTL, go ahead and
add it (i.e. don't audit "RAM").  QAUDLVL can also have some unnecessary (or
simply unwise) values turned on too (such as *SPLFDTA and *PRTDTA).  Finally,
object auditing value settings contribute to the total volume written to
security journal receivers, so be careful you don't have too many objects
turned on for *ALL auditing.

  I recently did a few articles for IT Jungle on this.  Check it out if you are
so inclined.

  http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg020806-story02.html

  http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg031506-story02.html

  http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg042606-story02.html