Do they allow you to GET as well as PUT?  You could always GET and see
what the data looks like.  However most sites do not allow you to GET and
PUT into the same directory so that you don't upload your favorite CD's,
share your password and allow everyone to download.

Are you making an informed decision that it's packed into zone, or is that
a WAG?  Maybe it's a CCSID or a BINary versus ASCii issue.

You should be able to look at the format of the file created by query
using DSPFD or DSPFFD.  That will tell you packed vs zoned for sure. There
are about a bazillion utilities for customizing that.  Google for DSPLYT
or LSTDDS.  Also, iNav has a utility that will take any file, created with
DDS or not, and give you the SQL needed to recreate the file.

You could also try DSPPFM and judicious use of F10 and F11.  Any old bit
twiddler can tell you that positions 16-17 of the following is a packed
positive three digit number with a value 081.  Whether or not it has a
decimal is strictly up to the definitions in DSPFFD.
81.001
FF4FFF44444444401
81B0010000000008F