b)  CPYFRMSTMF FROMSTMF('/TEST/2006_08_04_pay[1].20060804.013057.txt')
TOMBR('qsys.lib/qtemp.lib/temporary.file/temporary.mbr')
MBROPT(*REPLACE)
CVTDTA(*AUTO)
STMFCODPAG(*STMF)
DBFCCSID(*FILE)
ENDLINFMT(*ALL)
TABEXPN(*YES)

This code will only work if your current directory is /. PLEASE DON'T BE A FOOL, it only takes a second to fix the problem, why do iSeries people INSIST on doing this wrong?

This is the correct syntax:

 TOMBR('/qsys.lib/qtemp.lib/temporary.file/temporary.mbr')

See this message for more details:

The data was perfectly copied to QTEMP/TEMPORARY.  Thanks to all who
helped me!

Except that you said you only wanted the first record of the file!!!! If you had told me you wanted the whole file, I would've suggested CPYFRMSTMF in the first place -- but you only wanted one record, and as far as I know you can't do that with CPYFRMSTMF.

There was no question in my mind that CPYFRMIMPF was the wrong tool for the job :)