"Because you only have 1 field in TEMPORARY, CPYFRMIMPF is copying the 1st
"field" in the TXT file into the 1st field of the TEMPORARY file.  If you
create a TEMPORARY file with 5 or 6 fields, your CPYFRMIMPF will be
successful."

Steve, I wan to create the TEMPORARY file on the fly in QTEMP and be able
to delete it there.  Doing a DDS for this purpose will surprise me.
Probably is the solution around it but I will leave it on the table and
keep on searching.  If there is no way out, we will test the approach.
Right now, I do not believe is this complicated.

All I want to do is read the first two or three positions of that text
file I have in the IFS.  Depending on that, I will take several steps.
That is all I want to do.  As a result, I thought that by having a
physical file on the AS400, I can easily determine what the first 2-3
positions.

I thought that just copying a file, conceptually speaking, to a database
on the AS400 (without worrying about data content at all) was a
"plug-n-play" thing...

.... nah, nah, nah...

(at least in my case)...

Peter Vidal
PALL Corporation / SR Programmer Analyst, IT Development Group
10540 Ridge Rd., Ste 203, New Port Richey, FL 34654-5111
http://www.pall.com

"Sincerity is the way of Heaven."
Mencius (371 BC - 289 BC), Works