You might want to check into relaying all your outbound mail.

If you are doing high volume SMTP this will shift the work to a server that
is better designed(?) for this type of work.

you should be able to make this happen with:

CHGSMTPA   MAILROUTER('mail.router.name')  FIREWALL(*YES)

http://faq.midrange.com/index.pl?_highlightWords=smtp&file=192
Bryan Dietz
Aktion Associates