 wrote on Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:48:56 GMT:

Do you
think we will notice our backups taking longer with *SYSDFN
than *NO?

It is possible that the backup would take longer.  But only in
the case where an object is locked such that SWA cannot get its
lock for checkpoint processing and waits to attempt the retry.

I have never seen *SYSDFN on a SAVLIB skip any
objects, even ones in use.  If the *SYSDFN were to skip some
objects for some reason, it would be logged, right?

Yes, error messages will be produced to let you know what wasn't
backed up.

Most of
our data libraries are only a couple thousand objects.  One
of our software packages has its data library with about
146,000 objects. That logs some messages to QSYSOPR in the
backup job (job hold large number of objects).  Anything we
should watch out for especially with V5R4?

I don't think you're anywhere near the limits, but I haven't
looked at the maximum capacities document in the info center
since just after V5R4 was announced and I don't recall the
details.

Most of the things that will make recoveries more difficult or
require you to change how you're doing things are documented in
the memo to users.  (Another item that I haven't looked at since
early this year when V5R4 became available.)