Mike,

Sorry if I missed a previous reply but have you checked into APPC? I'm pretty
sure you would already own all the pieces for that on both sides without
spending any more money and it works well with COBOL.

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:21:52 -0400
from: msmith6@xxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: RE: iSeries (V5R3) calling a CICS program

Well actually we are running z/OS 1.4.  It's not that the mainframe OS
is that out of date, it's just the main appliations are COBOL and
VSAM.  I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a DB2 instance.

We do have a SOAP/XML web service that presents this service but I'm
not real happy with it.  I didn't set it up but it seems incrediably
clunky and doesn't perform real well.  It seems converting a COBOL
copy book to an XML schema and vice versa is something short of
voodoo.  They (the programmers) are using Websphere Dev. Toolkit and
the like.  It seems that they are having some difficulties when
converting.

Getting back to an earlier response about response time.  I believe it
has to be a reasonable interactive response.  I think 4 or 5 second
and below.   I believe the end users only go on this screen once when
creating a new customer so the delay, I believe, would be acceptable.

I saw an earlier post when someone mentioned DDM.  I think SMS on the
Mainframe hadles DDM connections.  That gets the data there, I just
have to envoke the program.

Oh, and CICS/400 isn't an option (if they even sell it any more)

Well, I was just wondering if someone had an implementation they were
using.  I gotta go to Staples to get more Duct tape and paper clips...

Mike.