Each release has it's own set of keys, so V4R5 keys won't work for any
other release.  "If" you didn't transfer the licenses to another machine
and you are the owner that owned it at V5R2 then you should be able to
call the IBM Keys Center at 800-446-8989 and request the keys.

If you did transfer the licenses then the only license valid on the system
is for the OS.

_____________________
Kirk Goins CCNA
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified i5 Solution Sales
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-business Solutions
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.manageinc.com

Email Response Times:
Same Day Maybe, Next Day Probably

"Mike McClain" <wmmcclain@xxxxxxxxx>
08/06/2006 06:36 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Starting up old machine

List,
Here's my situation, any advise?

Have an older 170 that was at v5r2 when we took it out of service.
Originally, we were going to dispose of it  so I scratched the disks as
describe by IBM to init to all 00.

Well we didn't get rid of it so now I want to bring back to life as
test/development/play machine.

I loaded v5r2 from cd and applied the lisc. keys that I had from the
original install back at v4r5 thinking that this would get it. Well it
doesn't I think because this guy was upgraded from v4r5 to v5r2. I still
get
the grace period messages during IPL and when I do wrklicinf it appears
that
there is not a valid key for my products.

Here's the question, do I need to scratch again and load v4r5 from cd,
apply
the v4r5 keys, then upgrade to v5r2 again? OR, do you think my BP can get
me
new keys valid for v5r2 for this box?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks