On Jun 30, 2006, at 7:42 PM, David Gibbs wrote:

pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yeah,but did he ever work in Silicon Valley? On a S/38? I don't think
he's quite that old............. :-))

I think he might have assisted with Apple's migration from S/38 to
AS/400 ... and I'm pretty sure he worked in Rolling Meadows ... but I
would have to ask him about that.  He's got a sticker on his cube with
AS/4@@ (where @@ is two multi-colored Apple logos). He's no spring chicken.

next morning took a swing at the easy weekend lob and wrote the below, but saved for later editing and then forgot to go back and send it

anyway, that mail did pull me back to reading (and even posting to) the list instead of just searching and recommending it, admittedly with a bit of a delayed reaction

thanks to you both for the prompt,

glad to be back,

--Jerome

ps numbers may get bigger, but behavior determines reality, and who really wants to be a chicken of whatever sort?

You're both right, sort of...

Did work at Apple's Rolling Meadows Central US Distribution and Support Center as a "Field Analyst" before the Support Center function quickly began migrating around the country (Charlotte, Austin, Colorado Springs?) only to eventually wind up out west. B60 JAKE (1st 400 for me) and m700 ELWOOD. These system names made it easier for those elsewhere to remember that these machines were in Chicagoland. It was socks optional, stereo and bball in the warehouse, lots of fun and lots of work. In my early 30s at the time, was one of the oldest 10% of the 100 or so onsite. 8 months of work, 4 months of severance, managed outplacement, etc.

Only worked on S/38s in the valley remotely, emailing (in the '80s on a Mac) researched line numbered RPG bug fix requests to long term Brit consultants out West, then calling and bugging them so they would (sometimes, eventually) implement them. Apple IS&T is a SAP and Peoplesoft shop these days, see http://www.apple.com/jobs/ist/ for some details of what they run. Not so sure what competitor M$ uses to ship those busy boxes, though, that seems to be or have been shrouded in some mystery.

Will hopefully never forget first encountering a S/38, in a side office sometime in the early '80s during preparation for replacing the S/3 at my first job in a large distribution center, coming from ice rinks. Also gained more than a little experience on the warehouse floor, driving delivery routes, and optimizing (and cleaning up after) a decolater, burster, cigarette tax stamping machines, fork lifts, conveyor belts, bundlers, compactors, shrink wrap tunnels, etc. Before long, found myself routing truck load delivery orders on this big boxy new-fangled teevee with a keyboard called a "CRT" (thunk, thunk, thunk, braaaapppp) instead of sorting rows of 96 column cards printed with addresses on a big table (thwap, thwap, thwap).

Little did I know at the time that working with machines like the hunk of plastic and metal in that side office would wind up being my livelihood for decades. It didn't have all of what's in the photo linked below, but it didn't really need it.

   http://www.rpgiv.com/images/Original%20S38%20Design%20Model.jpg

The AS/4@@ button came from an early '90s COMMON Expo, where IBM's Lee Recknor was demonstrating Mac Midrange connectivity software from IDEAssociates, among others.

I, on the other hand, worked on the S/38 project back in the 80's
(pre-Silverlake)

Whoa, that's got me topped, for sure. <elbow>