Rob,

A symbolic link is nothing more (or less) than a short stream file that stores a filename -- the filename that it links to. When you back up a symbolic link using the SAV command, all it saves is that short stream file. It doesn't back up the object that it points to.

I guess what I'm getting at is this:

Backing up a symbolic link to your friend's XML document would NOT cause the error that you posted. Hard links are different -- with a hard link it WOULD back up the object, but you've already discovered that there aren't any hard links to the object, so that's not the issue, either.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the problem, I just wanted to point out that symbolic links aren't related to the problem. :) The only guess I have is that it's backing up the /QIBM/UserData/OS400/ResourceMonitoringControl/var/vpd directory which might require the objects in it to be available? Purely a guess.

Personally, I gave up on trying to back up /QIBM when the system's not in a restricted state. When I do my regular nightly backups (which aren't in restrictured state) I omit all of /QIBM.

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com