Chuck,  you wrote:

Anyone using a GUI based alternative to IBM Query ?
We had someone show our CFO how to do some stuff with Microsoft's query
tool
and the ODBC drive from Client Access and it appears to have absolutely
NO
security what-so-ever and I see all kinds of problems with rolling that
out. <<

For the price/performance, I HIGHLY recommend QMF for Windows, or its
brother for Websphere both sold by IBM.   You'll find it is the GUI
cousin to DB2 Query Manager for AS/400/i5 (but much better and more
powerful) and a cousin to QMF from VM and MVS on the mainframe.   A user
has, at least, three different ways to create a query, from the
hold-your-hand MS Access look-alike to using just SQL.  You can easily
create graphs and various types of reports from your query answer set.
You can create procedures and jobs to run automagically or use the
companion tool that comes with QMF for Windows, called Visionary, to
create "front-ends(menu-driven)" queries you've saved on the i5.   Then
you can create "dashboards" for management and regular end users that
just want to see answers graphically or whatever, if you like.     This
tool queries any IBM DB2 using DRDA or ODBC and most popular RDBM's,
like ORACLE, using ODBC.

Having done some "due diligence" research on many query tools, some of
which I would have liked to have had based on previous life experience,
most of the other query tools are VERY pricy.  In some cases, the extra
price buys you a lot more function, such as OLAP queries and more, but
if you want to get close but for less money and a little less features,
I'd get a trial of QMF for Windows from the IBM web site.

HTH,

Dave Odom
Arizona