This is the kind of experience that I was looking for.  Now what about a
box with an HMC?  A couple of years ago I was at an HMC session at the
Design Center in Austin.  (Steve L. was there also; help me remember,
Steve.)  I thought that I remembered the presenter saying at that time
that you would be able buy an iSeries or a pSeries and not even load the
O/S, you could just create all of the partitions from the HMC and load
them up with Linux, for example.

It was very obvious at that session that the pSeries people (even though
some had already worked with HMCs) did not have nearly as many O/S
features as we did.  They'd never even heard of virtual ethernet or
virtual optical at that time.

Shortly after Linux became supported on the iSeries I asked an IBM
presenter why AIX was not yet supported.  (How could AIX be harder to
port than Linux?)  I was told that it was working in the lab but had not
yet been GA'd because of "politics."

So I'll try to be even more specific.  Can AIX be loaded on an i5 with
an HMC and no i5/OS partition?  Or vice-versa.  If it costs "a GAZILLION
dollars" to run i5/OS on a p5 what else do you need to buy?  Or do you
just need a GAZILLION dollar p5?

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator