Rob:

The new system is a 4-LPAR model 520. Not a monster by any means, but pretty
nice in _our_ environment. Since software development is important to this
list, it can be significant to listers looking for development systems.

One of the 3-drive LPARs replaces a model 40S that really was used mostly as a
batch server. It primarily ran compiles, optimizations, etc. It worked
admirably for a many years, but we reached DASD expansion limits within the
box. And of course, it was at the end of its OS/400 upgrade path.

The second 3-drive LPAR replaces the model 270 that was specifically for
development work, i.e., software development, unit testing, initial system
testing before QA gets involved, etc. Not a bad box at all, but we chose to see
how the LPAR would work out. There's _no_ way the developers here want to go
back.

One other LPAR replaces a third machine and a fourth LPAR creates a new system
image. I'm not sure how many systems we have around here any more, more than a
dozen counting LPARs as systems. This is our second LPAR machine and it blows
the previous one away. It's also the first we've ever tried a 3-drive RAID set,
and there's been absolutely zero indication of anything but major performance
boosts.

An example previous product build run of one product with full compiles, full
optimization and all associated steps, would run 18 hours. (Doing optimization
can be a killer on a *FULL build.) It's dropped to an hour.

I said more than once that our experience is _NOT_ typical. But I can't believe
we're the only ones on this list that would see similar effects given
reasonably similar requirements.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  6. RE: 4 Disk Raid5 Performance over 3 Disk Raid5 Performance
     (rob)

I guess if you're upgrading from a B10 to a 520 then a current 3 drive
raid set won't seem too bad.  However, failing that scenario I sure
wouldn't recommend a three drive raid set.

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  9. 4 Disk Raid5 Performance over 3 Disk Raid5 Performance
     (kirkg)

I know from real life that a system with a 3 drive raid5 set performs
almost as bad as a 2 drive mirrored  set. Now I need some official doc
that says a 4 drive raid5 set out performs a 3 drive raid5  set.  Anyone
seen something like this?

Unfortunately, no, I haven't seen actual docs. But for the sake of
completeness on the concept, I want to add a "lunatic fringe" comment...
NOT to be confused with any form of "recommendation"!

While a 3-drive RAID5 set may perform far worse than 4 or more drives in a
set, it _might_ not perform badly enough to ignore as a possibility. We
moved a couple systems from some old hardware to a couple of the
partitions on a new box, both partitions with 3-drive RAID5 sets, and both
are so much blazingly faster than the old that we fail to see what the
complaints are about.

MAJOR caveat -- our processing is ***NOT*** typical and definitely not
database bound. But when we run a *FULL build of a significant product, we
still get a big chunk of AuxIO.

The only point is that _sometimes_ for unusual circumstances, a 3-drive
set can work well. The sum of performance boosts from various components
after upgrading to new hardware can be impressive.