A very simple query could be used to count ....

For example:

DSPOBJD OBJ(KENNETH/*ALL)
        OBJTYPE(*FILE)
        OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)
        OUTFILE(QTEMP/COUNT)

This will create a file named COUNT with record for each *FILE object that is
contained in library KENNETH.

Then start SQL:  STRSQL

Execute this SQL command:  select count(*) from count

The results:

                                                          Display Data

Position to line  . . . . .
  COUNT ( * )