Yes you can upgrade the os in the HMC without interupting the i5.

If the HMC is toast and you need to start your i5 without it, you "might"
be able to do it.  However you may wish to temporarily set on flags on the
various lpars that they should power on when the frame is powered on.  We
generally turn these off because when we put ptf's on the frame itself we
don't want the lpar's ipling a lot.

You can upgrade the HMC during the middle of the day and you probably
should.  That way, if you run into problems you can talk to one of the 'A'
players at IBM and not a third shift flunky.  And if you plan on upgrading
your i5 that weekend do not upgrade your HMC on the Friday.  If you run
into problems you may need a little more time to handle it.  Just trying
to unstress you for the long weekend.