midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  8. RE: Installing 3rd Party Software using QSECOFR?? (rob)

But I'd argue that audit rules that forbid installation under QSECOFR but
think it's ok to use any user profile with the following special
authorities:  *ALLOBJ *AUDIT *IOSYSCFG *JOBCTL *SAVSYS *SECADM *SERVICE
*SPLCTL; is simply doing "busy" work instead of "real" work.  Much like
the silly audit rule about limiting your users to one 5250 session when no
rules are in place about accessing the data with multiple other tools,
like Excel, simultaneously from the same user.

No disagreement there, Rob. I should emphasize that I'm not defending various
rules from clueless auditors in that case, but only pointing at the directions
things have been going.

QSECOFR, though, is indeed a special case. There are aspects of QSECOFR that
are unique such as the ability to logon at the console even when disabled or
the retention of special authorities even when you try to remove them. E.g.,
compare a prompted CHGUSRPRF QSECOFR against any other profile and note that a
number of attributes for QSECOFR are presented as [*SAME] where all other
profiles show the actual retrieved attribute values (assuming you have
authority).

Alternative *SECOFR profiles can be more controlled. QSECOFR is not so easy.

A minor area... The more often QSECOFR is in use, the more the risk (admittedly
very minimal) of object damage to the user profile from unexpected system
failures during work. The safekeeping of the profile itself can conceivably
outweigh the desire for simplicity from not using a secondary *SECOFR profile
in heavily audited and controlled environments. Today's OS/400 and i5/OS
minimizes the risk and might even have eliminated it. There have been
circumstances where a damaged (not just *DISABLED but damaged) QSECOFR was
trouble though.

And when there's no _need_ to use it? Why use it? Why risk it? It simply ought
to be fundamental policy to use an alternative profile if possible. IBM's
directions to "Signon as QSECOFR..." seems to be a reasonable exception.

Barsa Consulting also seems a plausible additional exception. Though I'm
unaware of a specific requirement to install under QSECOFR, there may be
particular multi-system/LPAR/single-hardware-platform operational tasks that
only QSECOFR can do.

For audits, it's often the policy and adherence to that policy that are most
important. I often have no valid idea _why_ some particular rules are involved,
but auditors aren't always rational outside of their universe.

Tom Liotta