Frankie and Friends have never been let down by their Tripp-Lite UPSs (Official UPS Supplier of Frankenseries.com)
www.tripp-lite.com

On the APC Units we have *LOTS of experience with the smaller (i.e. less than 5KVA) units cooking the batteries. The UPS itself is fine but the batteries are a) *HOT* (You noticed) and b) Swollen so bad you can't get them out. (You can only SEE the front one, I'll bet you lunch every one is just as bad) If you remove the top cover you can get the buggers out with a BFS. (Um, warning? Depower the unit first!) Their newer designs hold the batteries differently so apparently they have discovered this problem.

What seems to happen is when the batteries finally go to *nuthin (i.e. open or shorted) the UPS just drops like a stone. It also acts like it is completely blown up even when plugged in. I wholeheartedly agree with you that not detecting these failed batteries long before this happens is a severe shortcoming of these units. However it must be said that those who do not run a test on their UPS at least once per quarter are guaranteed to get bit by this sort of problem at some point.

- Larry

James H H Lampert wrote:
One other detail:

On opening the battery compartment, I found that it was almost hot enough to cook on, and the front battery pack in the unit is so swollen I can't get it out.

Pretty obviously, that pack is toast. Probably at least one shorted cell.

But why the damned unit didn't see this coming . . . .

--
JHHL